If you need support to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme help is available

Welcome to the Citizens Advice BCP EU Settlement Scheme homepage. The aim of this project is to provide practical help and support to residents across BCP and Dorset to vulnerable EU citizens who are applying for ‘Settled’ or ‘Pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Although the deadline for initial applications to the scheme has passed, it still open to late applications where there are reasonable grounds for missing the deadline. Therefore, should you still need to apply – Do not delay as you may still be eligible to dependant on your reasons for being late to apply. We can assist you to make a late application.

Residents may also need to upgrade their status from Pre-Settled to Settled Status, when they reach 5 years of residency in the UK.

Assistance is available for any vulnerable local resident experiencing problems with applying for and obtaining their status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Making an application

You need to apply if:

  • You are an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen
  • You are an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen with a British Citizen family member
  • You’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen but your family member is
  • You are a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen who does not need to apply, e.g. they are an Irish Citizen
  • You were born in the UK but are not a British Citizen
  • You have a UK permanent residence document

You do not need to apply if:

  • You have Indefinite Leave to Enter the UK
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK
  • British or Irish Citizenship, including Dual Citizenship

What will happen after you apply:

You will be given either SETTLED status or PRE-SETTLED status. You will be awarded the status dependant on how long you have been living in the UK. Your rights will be different dependant on your status.

  • With SETTLED status, you will have been living in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years, for at least 6 months of each year. (There are some exceptions to this which we can explore with clients). You will be able to stay in the UK as long as you like and can apply for British Citizenship if you are eligible.
  • With PRE-SETTLED status, you will have been living in the UK for anything less than 5 years.

With both Settled & Pre-Settled Status you will be able to

  • Stay in the UK for more than 3 months
  • Work or Study
  • Use the NHS
  • Claim the state pension
  • Rent a home

With Pre-Settled status only, you may lose the right to claim some means tested benefits such as Universal Credit. You may also be unable to get help with housing from the local council.

How can we support you?

Trained caseworkers can help support you with your application if you are unsure of how to apply. The type of support we provide includes:

  • Understanding your circumstances and helping you or your family member decide when and how to apply to the scheme
  • Providing contact and support throughout the application process using our smartphones and computers
  • Helping advise on documentation you may need to provide
  • If your circumstances are complex, we can refer your case to specialist Advisors with whom we have existing arrangements
  • Help with late applications
  • Helping you get in touch with our colleagues at Citizens Advice who can provide support with any other problems that may arise, such as benefits, housing, etc.

We will offer as much support as possible to make the application process accessible for all.

How to get in touch with us

There are many ways to contact our team if you need help.

Please contact us now for FREE help and advice:

  • You can call our Adviceline on 0808 2787 939 where you will first of all speak with a local Adviser who can refer you on to us
  • Contact us directly at our email address, euss.advice@citizensadvicebcp.org.uk

Information Resources and Awareness: